3 Explorer minimum.
Pick up your camera and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Iceland. The famous Icelandic landscapes will take your breath away. Our group of ApertureXplorers will experience the rugged terrain on one of the newest islands in the world by hiking among volcanoes, glaciers, black sand beaches, and so much more!
Iceland is a truly magical place that offers up some of the most unique, yet dynamic landscapes the world has to offer all in a relatively small area. This will afford us the opportunity to capture a wide variety of shots on this expedition without huge travel times. Iceland’s weather is just as dynamic as the landscapes. While this may sound intimidating, it is something we will be able to take advantage of by capturing the most dramatic images. Our guides have had extensive experience in Iceland through various seasons and we guarantee you will be please with their expertise of the island and the quality of images you will go home with.
Of course, this would not be much of a vacation if it were all work and no play. We intend to take advantage of some of the leisurely and cultural activities to give you a complete sense of what Iceland is all about. While many of our meals will likely be out on the road, we will dine in Reykjavík at the beginning and end of the trip giving you the opportunity to try out traditional Icelandic fare. While in Reykjavík, we will set aside time for you to explore the city at your own ease. We will also take time to visit one of Iceland’s many hot springs. In this case, it will likely either be the Blue Lagoon or the Secret lagoon which will be contingent on the group preference. Iceland is one of our most regarded trips for it's adventurous activities; we intend to take each of our guests to the amazingly clear walled Ice caves, glacier walk, and descend into the depths of a volcano's magma chamber (no magma present of course!).
This trip is operated slightly different from our other expeditions as you will be REQUIRED to rent a vehicle called a camper van. These are small vans, similar to a Ford Transit, allow for sleeping in the back with a full mattress inside capable for sleeping 2 adults. ApertureXplorer operates with these vehicles as our sleeping quarters for the majority of the trip to allow our guides to be flexible on places to stay and see. This flexibility enables our guides and guests to track down and capture Northern Lights, and adjust the trip based on weather conditions for the best results.
Below is a list of most major locations we will see however there will be much more on the way than we can list.
Meeting Location and Drop-off:
We will meet on 10/15/2019 at 8:30a.m. Icelandic time. We will meet, as well as at the end of the trip drop off, at the Leifur Eiriksson (Leaf Erickson) statue directly in front of the Hallgrimskirkja, which itself is a very famous church in Iceland. Drop-off time will vary roughly, however we are shooting for 4:30p.m. Icelandic time.
Address: Hallgrimstrog 101, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
- Introductions in Reykjavik
- Meet for initial introductions so your guides know who you are and what photography skill level you are at.
- Provide quick syllabus of materials to be worked on during the expedition.
- Discuss what is to be focused on when shooting the images for the day.
- We will do our best to get to this amazing set of twin waterfalls! This waterfall is the 3rd tallest in the country and comes with unrivaled beauty.
- The wide spanning falls of Bruarfoss are as unique as they are majestic; eventhough they are not the tallest falls on the island, they are very beautiful to see.
- Solheimasandur Plane Wreck
- This famous location is the, now forever home of a wrecked C-47 (aka DC-3) aircraft. The black sand beaches in contrast with the bright silver body of the aircraft make for amazing images! This walk is 2.5 miles each way so have your walking shoes on.
- With a name meaning "The Impassible," this is a must experience location! This famous waterfall is located on smaller roads so getting there can be difficult ans subject to conditions, but making the trek is worth is. This massive series of step falls is inspiring to witness.
- These are the ominous looking black sand beaches found on the southern edge of the island seem otherworldly.
- This amazing canyon with jagged cliffs and peaks has been carved out of the landscape by the massive force of multiple waterfalls, leaving one of the most impressive places we will see.
- Jokulsarlon Ice Lagoon
- This lagoon is where iceberg break off and make their way to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Hvalnes Lighthouse and Stokknes
- These two locations are located on thefar southeast section of the island. Stokknes is a large rock formation shooting out from the ground, often leaving amazing sunset shots of beaming golden light across it.
- Skogafoss and Seljandsfoss
- These two waterfalls are about 20 minutes apart and both are stunning. We will spend time at each location taking in their unrivaled beauty.
- This beautiful location, known for being used in many Hollywood movies, has large stepping waterfall right in front of a volcanic rock formation.
- Very small fishing community just north of Reykjavik located on the way to Kirkjufell. Located within the town is a hidden gem, an old dry-docked ship decaying beneath the daily sun. As old and rotten the scene looks, it provides for an amazing setting to master some photography fundamentals.
- Detifoss, Selfoss and Godafoss
- These three amazing waterfalls lay in the northern sections of the island and just have immense power behind them. Each alone are worth the drive to see them but together you are bound to enjoy this part of the expedition.
- Rakjavik City
- The main city of the island which has a rugged feel to it will provide a great rest for the start and end to our trip. Catch a museum or walk the streets and enjoy a local brew on the way, this city is fantastic.
- This waterfall is rather less known by visitors as it is often overseen, but the landscape is absolutely beautiful. Shoot from afar or walk right up to the massive falls and you can get some amazing views.
*All locations are weather and safety restricted based on current conditions per trip.
Note: It is highly recommended to have travel insurance for any expedition you take. ApertureXplorers does not offer travel insurance nor do we sell any form of insurance.