Mystical Wonderlands of Banff, Canada-July 2019
Mystical Wonderlands of Banff, Canada-July 2019
Prices are based at a double occupancy rate, for single bookings add $1000 for separate accommodations.
3 Explorer minimum.
The wonderful and picturesque location known as Banff, Canada is a photographer's delight! Come join us for a week long workshop of this incredible region. Waters so blue, and the mountains shooting for the stars, this wonderland appears to have a perfect picture wherever you look. Let us help you capture your moment in one of the most BEAUTIFUL spots this world has to offer.
Not only will we have the opportunity to shoot incredible landscapes, there is a good chance we will encounter a variety of wildlife; so have your long lens ready! The town of Banff is known for its restaurants, shops, and very friendly residents. You will have plenty of opportunities to explore the town as all nightly accommodations will be in or near town. We will take time to fully enjoy what Banff has to offer by taking part in a few of the local attractions. The Banff Gondola rises above the town to the summit of Sulfur Mountain where you will get panorama views of the Canadian Rockies and the Bow Valley below. There are numerous hot springs in the area that we will have the option to visit based on the overall desire of the group. This will be a surreal way to relax after a long day on the go.
All travel and accommodation will be provided for this trip inside of the designated meeting and drop-off times listed below. We will likely have accommodations arranged at one of the resort hotels located in or in close proximity to the town of Banff; this will be dependent on the group size. We will eat most of our lunches on the go, but we will have the opportunity to enjoy breakfast and dinner at restaurants of your choosing in town.
Below is a list of most major locations we will see however there will be much more on the way than we can list.
Meeting Location and Drop-off:
We will meet on 07/12/2019 at 8:30a.m. local Calgary time. We will meet, as well as at the end of the trip drop off, at the Deerfoot City mall located next to the international airport in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Drop-off time will vary roughly, however we are shooting for 4:30p.m. local Calgary time.
Address: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Introductions in Calgary
- Meet for initial introductions so your guides know who you are and what photography skill level you are at.
- Provide quick syllabus of materials to be worked on during the expedition.
- Discuss what is to be focused on when shooting the images for the day.
- Comprised of several lakes at the base of Mount Rundle, Vermillion Lakes are easily accessible and provide excellent opportunities for sunrise and sunset shots with mountain reflections on the water. A short and level hike will give us access to the best areas to shoot over the lake.
- For a bird’s eye view of the town of Banff and the surrounding Rockies, we will follow the Mount Norquay access road to a grassy meadow vista. The shoot will require practically no trekking which will give us plenty of time to take in the views and get our shots.
Lake Minnewanka, Two Jack Lake, and Johnson Lake
- We will hike the trails that follow the banks of these neighboring lakes to find the best locations for shots of the craggy peaks and the crystal clear water. While we may spend a good amount of time on the trails shooting the various angles, the going is easy and sure to be a pleasurable day out.
- Overlooking the Bow River and Mount Rundle, this viewpoint will offer up elevated views of the scenery below. You will also have a chance to scramble down to the trail’s namesake, the Hoodoo rock formations which may make for interesting foreground subjects.
Bow River and Bow Falls
- Without needing to travel very far, the Bow River will provide us with numerous photo opportunities close to town. We will take our time at Bow Falls to take in all of the beauty and focus on how to get the perfect shots of the broad falls and sweeping views down the river.
- We will hike a portion of this moderate trail looking for wild flowers, reflective shots over the water, and cascading waterfalls.
- For a fairytale view across the Bow River, we will visit Surprise Corner for a view overlooking the castle-like Banff Springs Hotel which rises out of the evergreen forests at the base of Sulfur Mountain.
- As the prominent peak the hangs over the town of Banff, you will have many opportunities to shoot this mountain from several angles. We will not have a predetermined location to shoot this particular mountain but will certainly set up shoots when the opportunity presents itself.
Cave and Basin National Historic Site
- Known as the birthplace of Canadian National Parks, this site offers the opportunity for interesting and unique shots. The site is home to naturally occurring hot spring housed partially inside of a cave with a natural opening in the ceiling that allows sunlight to shine through.
- What may be one of the highlights of this expedition, we will follow a trail through the relatively narrow canyon and along catwalks attached to the walls of the canyon which will lead us to the upper and lower falls that call the canyon home.
- For the quintessentially Canadian landscape shot, we will visit Morant’s Curve which will give us a sweeping view of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, Bow River, and evergreen forests that lead up to the towering peaks of the Canadian Rockies. With luck and a careful bit of planning, we will be able to shoot this scenery with a train in the foreground.
- A short hike will bring us to the north end of Morain Lake which will give us an excellent view on Tonsa Peak over the lake to the south. These crystal clear, blue waters will impress and make for some stunning shots.
- The Province of Mount Assiniboine is filled with a endless supply of views which will put you in awe! The mountains reach for the sky, and the creek cut meadows span the bases, and the trees tower around you amidst it all.
Note: It is highly recommended to have travel insurance for any expedition you take. ApertureXplorers does not offer travel insurance nor do we sell any form of insurance.