Land of Fire & Ice, Iceland-October 2018
Land of Fire & Ice, Iceland-October 2018
Prices are based at a double occupancy rate, for single bookings add $1000 for separate accommodations.
Pick up your camera and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Iceland. The famous Icelandic landscapes will take your breath away. Our group of ApertureXplorers will experience the rugged terrain on one of the newest islands in the world by hiking among volcanoes, glaciers, black sand beaches, and so much more!
This trip is operated slightly different from our other expeditions in that we stay in vehicles called Camper Vans. They are dual occupancy and have a bed in the back as well as minor luxuries for sleeping. This allows our guides to be flexible on places to stay and see; this flexibility allows us to hunt for Northern Lights at night time and adjust the trip based on weather conditions for the best pictures.
Below is a list of most major locations we will see however there will be much more on the way than we can list.
- Introductions in Reykjavik
- Meet for initial introductions so your guides know who you are and what photography skill level you are at.
- Provide quick syllabus of materials to be worked on during the expedition.
- Discuss what is to be focused on when shooting the images for the day.
- We will do our best to get to this amazing set of twin waterfalls! This waterfall is the 3rd tallest in the country and comes with unrivaled beauty.
- The wide spanning falls of Bruarfoss are as unique as they are majestic; eventhough they are not the tallest falls on the island, they are very beautiful to see.
- Solheimasandur Plane Wreck
- This famous location is the, now forever home of a wrecked C-47 (aka DC-3) aircraft. The black sand beaches in contrast with the bright silver body of the aircraft make for amazing images! This walk is 2.5 miles each way so have your walking shoes on.
- With a name meaning "The Impassible," this is a must experience location! This famous waterfall is located on smaller roads so getting there can be difficult ans subject to conditions, but making the trek is worth is. This massive series of step falls is inspiring to witness.
- These are the ominous looking black sand beaches found on the southern edge of the island seem otherworldly.
- This amazing canyon with jagged cliffs and peaks has been carved out of the landscape by the massive force of multiple waterfalls, leaving one of the most impressive places we will see.
- Jokulsarlon Ice Lagoon
- This lagoon is where iceberg break off and make their way to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Hvalnes Lighthouse and Stokknes
- These two locations are located on thefar southeast section of the island. Stokknes is a large rock formation shooting out from the ground, often leaving amazing sunset shots of beaming golden light across it.
- Skogafoss and Seljandsfoss
- These two waterfalls are about 20 minutes apart and both are stunning. We will spend time at each location taking in their unrivaled beauty.
- This beautiful location, known for being used in many Hollywood movies, has large stepping waterfall right in front of a volcanic rock formation.
- Very small fishing community just north of Reykjavik located on the way to Kirkjufell. Located within the town is a hidden gem, an old dry-docked ship decaying beneath the daily sun. As old and rotten the scene looks, it provides for an amazing setting to master some photography fundamentals.
- Detifoss, Selfoss and Godafoss
- These three amazing waterfalls lay in the northern sections of the island and just have immense power behind them. Each alone are worth the drive to see them but together you are bound to enjoy this part of the expedition.
- Rakjavik City
- The main city of the island which has a rugged feel to it will provide a great rest for the start and end to our trip. Catch a museum or walk the streets and enjoy a local brew on the way, this city is fantastic.
- This waterfall is rather less known by visitors as it is often overseen, but the landscape is absolutely beautiful. Shoot from afar or walk right up to the massive falls and you can get some amazing views.
*All locations are weather and safety restricted based on current conditions per trip.
*Note: All expeditions do not include travel expenses to or from the expedition's predetermined location starting location. All trips denoted as "all inclusive" include a meal voucher of $30 per meal (2 meals per day) or a cooked meal provided by the expedition's guides.