Prices are based at a double occupancy rate, for single bookings add $1000 for separate accommodations.
Come with us this May for tour through red-rock canyon country as we explore the monumental beauty of the American West. We will visit and shoot some of the most famous geological landmarks in the world including the Grand Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. Be prepared for some late nights as we aim out cameras up towards some of the darkest skies in the US to capture the Milky Way and countless stars. The trip will ultimately bring us to the adventure mecca of the west, Moab, from where we will explore Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. Once you arrive in Cedar City, transportation and accommodations will be taken care of for the endurance of the trip so that you can enjoy the expedition to the fullest.
Meetup and Drop-Off Location:
We will meet on 5/12/2018 at 8:30a.m. Mountain time. Both at the start of the trip, as well as at the end of the trip, we will all meet in the parking lot between the Cafe Rio Mexican Grill and the Chile's Restaurant. Across the street is a large red and white lighthouse, if you do not see the lighthouse, you are in the wrong location! Drop-off time will vary roughly, however we are shooting for 5:30p.m. Mountain time.
Address: 1243 Sage Dr, Cedar City, UT 84720
- Meet for initial introductions so your guides know who you are and what photography skill level you are at.
- Provide quick syllabus of materials to be worked on during the expedition.
- Discuss what is to be focused on when shooting the images for the day.
- Zion National Park
- Once introductions are completed, we will proceed to the Zion National Park where we will see many of the wonders the southwest has to offer. We will undergo a mild hike to the Emerald Pools where waterfalls line the trail. Another famous spot are the Weeping Rocks, a sandstone alcove carved over millennia by wind and water. For those of you whom desire a challenge, we have an optional, and strenuous, hike to Angel's Landing; do take note this hike is along a very narrow ridge atop a spire ending at a perch overlooking the vast view of Zion. As we reach the end of the day we will have the opportunity to view the Temple of Sinawava as well as a sunset photoshoot at the Canyon Overlook to capture the true beauty and scale of the red cliffs.
- Grand Canyon
- As we start day 2, the group will travel to a fantastic place that needs no introduction! This immense canyon will be sure to make your jaw drop and greet your lens with amazing pictures. The Grand Canyon has many vistas and overlooks which we will visit as we travel along the North Rim. We will be sure to hit some of the major spots such as Point Imperial, Vista Encantada, Roosevelt Point, Walhalla Overlook, and Angel's Window, all of which will offer sweeping views and photo opportunities. As a sure crowd pleaser, the last shoot of the day will be held during sunset at Cape Royal. On the following morning at the start of Day 3, we will rise early to capture the incredible sunrise from the North Rim.
- Antelope Canyon
- Antelope Canyon is a brilliantly colored gorge cut out by nature. The curves flow so smoothly they will be sure to give amazing images. The group will be guided through the upper and lower canyons on one of the most up close and personal canyon experiences we will have. The spectacular light beams, pouring sand, and surreal textures as we navigate the narrow canyons will give you memories you wot forget.
- Horseshoe Bend
- Maybe one of the most recognizable and photographed features in the American West, we will set up for a sunset shoot and explore how to make your photos stand out from the rest.
- Arches National Park and Moab
- With thousands of natural stone stone phenomena, Arches National Park is a photographer's paradise. No matter the time of day or light situation, you will be sure to capture stunning shots of these nature made wonders. This will be an action packed day as we visit and shoot the prominent landmarks in the park and the surrounding area. As the sun sets, we will have a course on astrophotography to capture the Milky Way, star trails, time-lapses and shooting a series of images for median stacking to learn how to reduce camera noise in picture.
- Canyonlands National Park
- On day 5 we will set out for the day across the "Island in the Sky" to shoot the wide array of features this park has to offer. Capture a stunning sunrise through the Mesa Arch which serves as a window to a scenic canyon vista. Grand View Point offers a stunning overlook down onto jagged spires and open canyon as far as the eye can see. The final shoot will be held at False Kiva which is a relatively tucked away archaeological site nestled into an alcove in the canyon wall. The location will offer up a spectacular sunset as well as the opportunity to shoot these incredible canyons with the night sky.
Note: It is highly recommended to have travel insurance for any expedition you take. ApertureXplorers does not offer travel insurance nor do we sell any form of insurance.